Monday, March 9, 2015

College Newspaper Article 4

The other day, I was looking through some of my things from college when I came across a few articles I wrote during my sophomore year while I worked for the school newspaper, the Lakeholm Viewer. I had almost entirely forgotten about them, and it was fun reading back through them. I figured since this is my collection of things I have written, I would add them on here. Sorry if they aren’t amazing. I was only a sophomore!

Short plans to enjoy time left on court with friends

By Zach Zeltman

Staff Writer

November 12, 2010

Senior Brandon Short brings the ball up the floor during a scrimmage


Orrville, Ohio, is significant for three reasons.

The most important is that Brandon Short is from Orrville.

The second is that the Smucker’s jelly company has its headquarters there.

The third is that Bobby Knight, Basketball Hall of Fame coach and player, grew up in Orrville.

Short, a senior basketball standout for the Mount Vernon Nazarene University Cougars, is leading this year’s team this season.

“I’m looking forward to getting back to Branson this year,” Short said, referring to the NAIA national tournament in Branson, Mo.

“I made it my freshman and sophomore year, but last year we had a tough season and did not make it.

“But I think we have a great group of guys that can get the job done this year,” Short said.

Short is a sports management major with a minor in marketing.

After college, he would like to try playing professionally overseas for a few years and then pursue a job in sports marketing.

In his spare time he enjoys watching movies, napping, hanging with friends and watching “Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.”

“My favorite part about playing at MVNU,” Short said, “was getting the chance my freshman year to come in and play early and contribute.

“Not many people get that opportunity, so I am thankful I had the chance to do so,” Short said.

As this season is getting underway, Short and the rest of the Cougars plan to improve their record and put MVNU back on the map.

“I think the team chemistry will play a big part in our success this year,” Short said.

“We have a very close group of guys who all love the game and like to be around each other.”

Short will be wearing a different number this year from his usual 23.

“I’ve worn 23 since middle school, and I figured it was time for a change,” Short said.

“I’ve always liked number three, so I decided to go with that.”

Short’s parents are his biggest inspiration.

“They have always encouraged me to do my best,” Short said. “And when I don’t, they are there to pick me up and help me bounce back.


“We have had some really good practices and preparation for this season,” Short said, “so it all comes down to execution and making plays.”

No comments:

Post a Comment