Monday, March 9, 2015

College Newspaper Article 2


The other day, I was looking through some of my things from college when I came across a few articles I wrote during my sophomore year while I worked for the school newspaper, the Lakeholm Viewer. I had almost entirely forgotten about them, and it was fun reading back through them. I figured since this is my collection of things I have written, I would add them on here. Sorry if they aren’t amazing. I was only a sophomore!

Men’s basketball preview: Cougars prep for important season

By Zach Zeltman

Staff Writer

October 29, 2010

Senior Adam Grimm slams the ball before practice. Photo by Zach Zeltman

 The Mount Vernon Nazarene University men’s basketball team is expecting to have a much-improved season from last year. The Cougars, who had a 13-17 record last year, lost five seniors to graduation but are reloaded with talent and ready to get back in the game.

Five new varsity players and 11 new reserve team players will be taking the court this season. Each of these players brings improvements to the team, including that the majority of them are taller and more versatile than last year’s team.

“I am definitely looking forward to the games,” said freshman forward and education major Austin Semple.

“I’m excited to see how we will match up to other teams this year. The best part of being on this team is that we all get along well. We all have each other’s backs. It has been a really good experience so far.”

The first game for the junior varsity team was Oct. 26 against Cedarville University, and the first game for the varsity is Nov. 6 at the University of Northwestern Ohio.

“I am excited for the chance to see the maturation of our returning players along with the additions of my first recruiting class,” said second-year head coach Matt Moore. “I have had a vision of what I want my teams to look like, and it has been a joy this fall watching this year’s team become ‘my’ first team. We have a great deal of opportunity ahead of us!”

Even though the new players may be stealing some of the attention right now, the Cougars still have a talented veteran group. Seniors Brandon Short, Adam Grimm and Brady Swanson bring leadership and athleticism to the court.

“I think the leaders and returning players are hungry this season,” said senior captain Swanson, a Spanish education and a health and physical education double major.

“We believe we have the talent to have a great season, so we are trying to push everyone to do their best,” he said.

Although the preseason can become drawn out for players who want to start games, the team has been able to have some fun in the meantime. During conditioning, the team went through the Columbus SWAT team’s obstacle course, which proved to be entertaining. Also, the team went on a retreat, where they went paintballing and spent a day at a lake in Michigan.

“The highlight of the team retreat was definitely the campfire night,” said sophomore Ben Severns, a middle childhood education major.

“It was an unreal experience to see everyone gathered around some of the guys praying and crying. God was definitely there in that moment and will continue to be there throughout the season. It was an un­real team experience.”

The Cougars are anticipating the beginning of the game schedule.

“Being a part of a team is more than just the five players on the court or the teammates on the bench,” Moore added. “Our sixth man is truly our Cougar Crazies. You make the games fun for us. Please come and be a part of this year’s team!”

No comments:

Post a Comment